Friday, August 31, 2007

Strawberry Yogurt Scones


I saw these scones on Annie's blog a while back and I saved them because I thought they looked bright and fresh. These were a cinch to throw together and took less than 10 minute to get into the oven. I must be honest though - Nick and I both agreed that the scones I typically make that either have heavy cream or buttermilk in them are MUCH better. These are okay if you are looking for a healthier option, but I will probably stick to my full-fat scones and just eat them less often ;-) I am still sharing the recipe because they weren't bad and a lot of people are looking for healthier alternatives!


Strawberry Yogurt Scones
(Source: Cooking Light)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup diced strawberries
2/3 cup strawberry yogurt (I used a 6-oz. cup)
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind (I omitted this because I didn't have an orange)
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
2 teaspoons sugar

Preparation
Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine strawberries, yogurt, butter, orange rind, and egg white; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly four times with floured hands. Pat into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through the dough; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

2 comments:

Renea said...

Mmm I love scones. They have been on my list to make for a while now. Maybe this weekend!

~Amber~ said...

Sorry to hear these did not turn out quite how you expected them to. They look wonderful.