Thursday, August 30, 2007

Black Bean "Burgers"


I have had these on my "to make" list for quite some time, but had never gotten the opportunity to try them. Today I was looking for something healthy for lunch since I usually just snack on whatever I can find, and I remembered I had wanted to try these.

These patties were very tasty and dredging them in cornmeal gave them a great crisp exterior. I ate my "burger" with brown rice and salsa and sour cream on the side. I will be keeping this recipe as it's perfect for quick, healthy lunches! The recipe below reflects the changes that I made from the original.


Black Bean Patties
(Adapted from Cooking Light)

2 cups rinsed, drained canned black beans, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg white
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup cornmeal
Cooking spray
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream

Preparation
Place 1 1/2 cups beans, garlic, and salt in a bowl; partially mash with a fork. Place 1/2 cup remaining beans and egg white in a food processor; process 30 seconds or until well combined. Add bean puree to mashed beans in bowl, and stir until combined. Add cheese and onion to bean mixture; stir until combined. Divide bean mixture into four equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch thick patty. Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Dredge both sides of each patty in cornmeal.

Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Top each patty with 1 tablespoon sour cream and extra cheese if desired.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

These look so delicious! I love black beans.

And........



WHO DEY! :) (Sorry, I had to!)

Tiffany said...

I love that recipe. It's one of my favorites.

Kayte said...

i really need to try these! they look great.