Monday, September 3, 2007

Baked Potato-and-Broccoli Soup


Labor Day weekend. Ahh the glorious three-day transition into my favorite season of the year: Fall. And what does fall mean? Soup of course! No matter that it's still 80 degrees out; my mind has officially switched into fall mode. Since I began working from home I have been hard pressed to find some decent options for lunch, and as a result I end up snacking through most of our pantry. Now that fall is upon us, I decided to make a pot of soup each weekend to have for lunches throughout the week.

My first choice was a soup that I came across on Annie's blog a while back - Cooking Light's Baked Potato-and-Broccoli Soup. And honestly, this soup should have "cheese" somewhere in its title because it's nice and cheesy as well :) This is a wonderful alternative to a very heavy and fat-laden version that is served at most restaurants.

This soup was easy to throw together and it was very tasty. The only thing that I plan on doing differently next time is:

I will saute the onions in a little butter until they soften, as I do with most other soups that I make. I usually feel that doing this lends the broth base a deeper flavor. After this I would then add the broth, broccoli and potato and proceed with the recipe.



Baked Potato-and-Broccoli Soup
(Source: Cooking Light)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 (14.5-oz) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
3 cups cubed, peeled potato (1.25 lbs) - I used 2 medium sized baking potatoes
2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/4 cup reduced-fat 2% milk (I used 1% because that's what we keep in the house)
1 (8-oz) block 2% reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded**

Preparation:
Whisk flour and 1/3 cup chicken broth until smooth.

Combine remaining chicken broth and next 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Cooking, stirring often, 5 minutes.

Stir in milk and 8 oz. shredded cheese. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.

Serve with additional shredded cheese, bacon bits and chopped scallions.

**Note: Freshly shredded cheese is recommended (versus pre-shredded) for additional creaminess and even melting.

9 comments:

Carrie said...

Looks great!!!!! I love broccoli cheese, add potato I'm in heaven, I will be trying this!

~Amber~ said...

This looks wonderful and is the perfect way to ring in Fall. I think I will have to give it a try very soon.

Jaime said...

i've been wanting to try this recipe... thanks for the tip about the onions!

Unknown said...

Yum!! I love soup, particularly potato & broccoli. I will be trying this soon.

MrsSisler said...

I wish DH would eat broccoli! I may have to make this to take to school with me for lunch...looks great!

Joy Through Cooking said...

Mmmm yummy! This looks great! And I am a soup fiend... starred :)

Renea said...

Yum, one of my favorite soups! I need to try making this this fall.

Karin W. said...

Soup for me too. Summer suddenly left Sweden. Frost all over the country. Snow fell in the mountain area. Brrr... too soon.

Kayte said...

i need to try this. i haven't made homemade soup more than once. and this looks perfect for cold autumn nights.