Friday, August 3, 2007

Light Lunch

Yesterday I was suffering from cucumber overload (too many cucumbers, not enough time!) when I decided to make a cucumber salad. The following is the recipe I used, which I kind of made up on my own based on finding a ton of different recipes:


Cucumber Salad

1 cucumber, very thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash dried parsley
Dash dried basil
A few grinds of fresh ground pepper

Combine all ingredients except cucumbers and onions in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Toss with cucumbers and onions until thoroughly combined and let sit for ~15 minutes. Drain out most of remaining liquid. Store in tupperware in the refrigerator.

For lunch today I mixed a bowlful of the cucumber salad with fresh spinach and some shredded mozzarella cheese and stuffed it in a pita. A perfectly healthy and light summer lunch!

1 comments:

Kayte said...

this looks so healthy and so yummy!