Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I'm about due for something healthy...

My good friend Kayte (of Kayte's Kitchen) told me about these muffins awhile ago and I thought they sounded really good, but then I forgot about them! She gave me the recipe again yesterday and I was able to make them today. For me, they definitely taste "healthy" (maybe because the only other muffins I make include about 2 cups of sugar and a cup of oil?) but they are so moist and really good! I added the optional raisins and am glad that I did - they give the muffins a little more depth and flavor. Nick really liked these as well and sprinkled a packet of Splenda over his and said that gave it just enough extra sweetness.

Also, I took Kayte's advice and mixed these with a wooden spoon instead of using a mixer. I definitely see the potential for them to be over mixed and come out tough!


Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins (from SparkRecipes)

1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon (I omitted this because I'm allergic)
1 tsp. granulated sugar
Nuts or raisins (optional)

1. Soak the oats in milk for approximately 1 hour.

2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.

3. Combine the oat mixture with applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.

4. In a separate bowl whisk together dry ingredients.

5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins, if desired. **Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough!**

6. Spoon batter into 12 prepared muffin cups. Combine cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.

7. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until done.

3 comments:

Kayte said...

i totally agree! they definitely taste healthy. but not in a bad way! your picture turned out great. i couldn't get any good ones. i'm glad you liked them!

Deborah said...

These look great! It's good to throw in something healthy now and then - makes you feel a little less guilty huh? ;)~

~Amber~ said...

These look great. I'll have to remember them when I am looking for something healthy.