Monday, July 16, 2007

Calzone Wanna-Be

On the nights that Nick goes to the gym he usually just wants a protein shake and some type of carb (couscous, pasta, etc.) when he gets home, so I never plan on making meals on those evenings. Well, tonight I decided that these nights are perfect for trying things that I like that I know Nick won't eat. And so tonight...

The poser calzone ;-)

I have never made a calzone before and I figured before I went experimenting with precious pizza dough I would try my hand at it with some crescent rolls first. These were really good and I can't wait to try them out with even more fillings and I think I just might progress to pizza dough ;-) This filling was inspired by a sandwich I always used to get at Quaker Steak & Lube that has grilled chicken, mushrooms, onions and mozzarella cheese. Yum! Oh Pittsburgh, how I miss thee!!


Chicken, Mushroom & Onion Calzone

2 chicken breast halves, boiled and shredded
Mushrooms, sliced - about a handful
Onion, sliced - about 4 or 5 half-onion slices
Mozzarella cheese - a couple handfuls
Crescent roll dough - 1 tube (I used reduced fat)

Saute mushrooms and onions in about 1 Tbsp. of butter. Remove from heat and combine with chicken and cheese. Break the crescent roll dough into 4 rectangles, press seams together and press out to about 5x6 rectangles. Add an equal amount of the filling to each rectangle and then fold over and seal shut.

For two of mine I brushed with egg and rolled in Italian-style bread crumbs. I thought this added to the flavor because I pretty much suck at seasoning and always forget to do so ;-)

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.

I ate two of these for dinner... at 90 calories each for a crescent roll and using boiled chicken and veggies and just a little cheese, this is a pretty low fat meal as well!

4 comments:

Kayte said...

that sounds so yummy!! its making me crave a chicken cheesesteak!

~Amber~ said...

These look awesome!! The crescent rolls are a great idea. :)

Carrie said...

What a great idea, sounds great!

Deborah said...

Wow, these look SO good! What a good idea with the breadcrumbs too. Your poor hubby is missing out... he needs to come over to the Darkside. :)~