Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Primanti's - A Pittsburgh Tradition

For anyone who has lived in or visited Pittsburgh, PA there is one "culinary" stop that is a must -- Primanti Brothers. Over the past 60 years Primanti's has grown from a late-night diner to an acknowledged Pittsburgh institution. The sandwich is quite unique and to appreciate it you'd have to just suck it up and try one! A typical Primanti's sandwich finds your choice of meat topped with melted provolone cheese, tomato, french fries and coleslaw in an oil and vinegar dressing. The sandwich is smooshed between two ultra thick slices of Italian bread.

Going home for the weekend or a holiday gives me the opportunity to eat the food that I can only get back in the 'Burgh and I was thrilled to fill my belly with a Primanti's sandwich this weekend. My favorite is the pastrami, but really - you can't go wrong no matter your choice! Below is a picture of my sandwich - definitely a mouthful but totally worth every last bite.


If you ever find yourself in the Pittsburgh area (there are both city and suburban locations) or in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (there are two restaurants opened down there) definitely give these sandwiches a try! At the very least, even if you hate it - you can tell everyone you tried it and Pittsburghers will respect you (as long as you don't tell them you hated it!) :)

3 comments:

Kayte said...

OMG that looks amazing! i wanna go to Pburgh and get me one of those!

~Amber~ said...

That looks awesome!!

Anonymous said...

You made me so hungry for one of these!!! Aaaa!!