Sunday, May 13, 2007

One.Big.Eclair

Seriously - if you love eclairs or Boston cream pie, this cake is for you! The creamy middle is delicious and the chocolate icing hardens just like that of an eclair. Mmmmm. Definitely try this if you need a dessert idea - it's so good! My father-in-law made me save him an extra piece for later!

**Word of caution - do NOT be tempted to use both layers of this cake. I did this because Nick LOVES yellow cake mix and wanted tons of cake, but in my opinion it really was too much. Stick to the recipe, which is ONE 9-inch layer sliced horizontally!


Boston Cream Pie

1 round yellow cake layer (9-inch)
1 cup cold milk
1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Vanilla Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
1-1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip whipped topping
1 square Baker's unsweetened baking chocolate
1 Tablespoon butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar

1. Cut cake horizontally into two even layers with serrated knife; set aside.

2. Pour 1 cup cold milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken. Place bottom cake layer on serving plate. Spread with pudding mixture; top with remaining cake layer.

3. Microwave chocolate and butter in medium microwaveable bowl for 1 minute. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add sugar and 2 Tablespoons of milk; stir until well blended. Spread over top of cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator.

Source: Kraft

2 comments:

~Amber~ said...

That looks like one huge doughnut. My dad would love that. Thank you for sharing.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

oh my... if I made this, I fear my hubby will eat it all - he loves eclairs & boston cream pies!