Friday, May 18, 2007

Mangia on Pizza!

My good friend Kayte gave me a recipe for homemade pizza dough and I finally got around to making it last night. Thursday nights always feel like the cusp of the weekend and I love eating casual, yummy foods on those nights.

This recipe was amazingly simple and really easy to put together! I did roll the dough but it came out too thin in the center and too thick on the outside. Kayte said that when she worked the dough with her fists she got better results, so I will definitely do that next time. Other than that, this tasted like real, authentic pizza dough! Oh, and I did pre-bake the crust (7-10 minutes) before adding the toppings and it made it nice and cripsy!

I got two large-size crusts out of this recipe.

I have also included my recipe for pizza sauce below!

(I apologize for the string of crappy pictures - I don't know why they have been sub par lately!)


Homemade Pizza Dough

2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1-1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F / 45 degrees C)
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the water, and let sit 10 minutes.

2. Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 2-1/2 cups of the flour.

3. Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until doubled in size; approximately 1 hour. Punch down the dough and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax a little before rolling out.

4. I cut the dough in half at this point - half the recipe was more than enough for one large-size pizza. I shaped the second half into a tight disc, wrapped in Glad Press n' Seal, placed in a ziploc freezer bag and froze for another use.

5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a pan, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise 15-20 minutes before topping and baking it.

6. Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

Source: Nestie KayteandRob


Pizza Sauce

**This recipe yields enough sauce for two large pizzas.

15 oz. tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Combine all ingredients.

2 comments:

~Amber~ said...

That looks and sounds great. I am planning on making pizza this week and I might just use your sauce recipe. :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I've been tempted with pizza after finding them on a few blogs... and your homemade dough looks easy enough for someone like me who fears yeast!