Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bump, Bump, Bump

That was an R&B song awhile back, wasn't it? Oiy, I feel old!

Anywho... I was put on a mission this morning by my travel-weary husband, Nick. He has been traveling a lot lately and as a result eating a lot of crappy airport and hotel food. He got in late last night and this morning when I asked him what he would like for dinner tonight he said, "Something chicken-y that's healthy and tastes good". Easy enough, right? Well, we have been bored with the same old stuff so I set out to make something a little different.

I came across this Cooking Light recipe and it sounded good, but I was admittedly a little nervous about baking chicken without any liquid except for the mushroom juices. I was pleasantly surprised when I cut into a piece and found it to be completely juicy!

Below is the recipe, as well as Nick's "grade" and our comments. I am stealing this format from someone else (I'm sorry, I can't remember who!) because since Nick and I have been married I have asked him to grade my meals (A to F) and offer suggestions. I think that would probably be useful for anyone else reading my blog!

Bumpy Chicken (adapted from Cooking Light)

2 cups finely chopped mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt

1. Preaheat oven to 375.

2. In a non-stick frying pan, stir mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium-high heat until mushrooms begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, place chicken breasts in a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

4. When the mushroom mixture is done, remove it from the heat. Stir in the mustard, vinegar and mayonnaise.

5. Spread the mushroom mixture over the chicken and continue baking the chicken until chicken is no longer pink in the center of the thickest part. Add salt to taste.

I served this with brown rice cooked in chicken broth, and asparagus that were steamed and then sauteed in a small amount of olive oil and minced garlic.

Nick's Grade: B+
Nick's Comments: "The quality of the cooking and the flavor are both 'A' but the texture is a bit weird. I would maybe slice the vegetables instead of chopping them and maybe instead of mushrooms use a leafy green sauteed vegetable, like spinach."

4 comments:

Kayte said...

this does look bumpy! sounds delicious. i will try it with veggies maybe! thanks michelle and nick!

Carrie said...

Looks great. Love the grading system.

Deborah said...

This looks so creamy and yummy! Good for your hubby for having the sense to compliment the "quality of cooking" too, hee hee. ;)~

Nicole said...

Is it ok to steal "your" scoring idea? LOL That's a really good idea!