Friday, March 16, 2007

Meatloaf - An American Classic

So I have been on an endless search for the perfect meatloaf recipe for a long time. The last two I tried I just didn't really like very much. The first one was way too onion-y (used Lipton Onion Soup Mix) and the last one I think had too many herbs in it (Kraft recipe using their stuffing). I think I have FINALLY hit the jackpot!


Meatloaf:
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped (EDIT: the second time I made this I grated 1/4 of a large onion to eliminate the chunks but keep a strong onion flavor)
1 egg
1 cup bread crumbs
4 oz (1/2 of an 8 oz can) tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Mix all together and shape into a loaf in a glass baking dish.

Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Glaze:
1 cup water
4 oz (1/2 of an 8 oz can) tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon molasses (I used pure maple sugar - had it on hand)
2 Tablespoons white vinegar

Whisk together well. After the 30 minutes is up, pour this over the top of the meatloaf.
Bake for an additional 1 hour, 15 minutes.

Source: Nestie violinbride

0 comments: