Sunday, February 11, 2007

Honey Wheat Bread

Today was a busy day for me in the kitchen! After making a batch of homemade wedding soup, I decided since everything was out and dirty anyway, I might as well make up some bread. I had made homemade white bread previously, but Nick loves wheat so I thought I would try this recipe. I had a hard time getting everything together and kneading it, and it seemed really dense, but it rose perfectly and came out of the oven looking and smelling great! Nick ate almost 1/2 of one loaf within 15 minutes of it coming out of the oven.











2 c. warm water (110 degrees F)
1 T. active dry yeast
1/3 c. honey
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. vegetable oil
5 c. all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey and stir well. Mix in whole wheat flour, salt and vegetable oil. Work all-purpose flour in gradually. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for at least 10-15 minutes. When dough is smooth and elastic, place it in a well-oiled bowl. Turn it several times in the bowl to coat the surface of the dough, and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Punch down the dough. Shape into two loaves, and place into two well-greased loaf pans. Allow to rise until dough is 1 to 1 1/2 inches above pans.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.

Source: Nestie KateyandRob

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

your bread looks so yummy! you put me down as the source. so cute! your blog rocks!